Thursday, 2 June 2011

Creating....

This past week my fingers seem to have been constantly sewing or crocheting! It has been really lovely! Each room seems to have a little basket sitting with a project in it that is itching to be worked on, so wherever I am in the house I can indulge!

The crochet I am working on is many, many, many, many circles for a blanket. I keep them in a little tin and wherever I go, the tin also goes. It is often to be found in the car and wherever I am stopped the crochet appears (all safe though!! Mr Plod need not worry about me stopping at traffic lights to crochet....unless Peter is driving that is!! LOL!!). This project will take a long time to complete, but I am still enjoying it!

At the end of last week I ordered a skirt kit from Clothkits. I love all their skirts but have been very nervous about getting one as the thought of adding zips and lining fill me with dread. However, I thought it was time to give it a go. The service from this company is excellent. I ordered the kit Tuesday of last week, posted the cheque on Wednesday and the kit was on my doorstep on Saturday.


Even the packaging is first rate. I love the ribbon!

By Saturday evening the skirt and lining were cut out. Sunday was spent on a day trip with the family so the skirt was left until Bank Holiday Monday. The instructions were so easy to follow that I began the skirt after 3pm and had it finished by 6pm, lining and dreaded zip inserted with no problems whatsoever! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new skirt!





Next project....No, not a big flower but new dishcloths! I was sitting one night watching TV and wanting a quick easy project. Searching through my yarn I found cotton and thought I could do with some cloths. I almost don't want to use them though! LOL!





In March I told you about a patchwork project I was starting that very day. Well, I didn't!! I took it all out of the packet, read the instructions which appeared to be written in Russian and promptly put it all away again thinking it too difficult! Weeks passed and it sat atop my dresser mocking me! It thought it had beaten me but NO! Last week, when I was feeling as though I could easily read Russian (!) I removed it from the package again and reread the instructions which it turned out were written in the simplest form of English imaginable!! How stupid had I been those previous weeks?!! The pieces were cut within an hour and I placed them to check my colours....


Now they have been assembled into little piles and the sewing has begun! Such fun! They sit in a little basket in the conservatory which is my favourite room at the moment and every time I can sneak in there for some peace and quiet I lift a few squares and sew to my heart's content! Normally I machine stitch but as this is a fairly small project I want to hand piece it! After all there is no great hurry!

Anyway, I can hear the crochet call (son is home from school sick and wants me close to hand...good excuse for me to sit!) so....

18 comments:

Mise said...

Your skirt is beautiful! I love the simplicity and happiness of the design.

Annie said...

What a lovely skirt. I can so see why you were tempted to tackle it. It's the kind of thing that will make you smile when you wear it :)

Tickety-boo said...

Wow Wow Wow. I am in awe of your skirt! It's just GORGEOUS!!!! Well done I am insanely jealous.
I adore your patchwork too. That is such a Tickety-boo blanket, you have no idea.
I want one :o)
Beautiful post!
Love Tickety-boo

Alison said...

Wow - I am so impressed at all your creativity. The skirt is fantastic and just what I'd like to show my MIL - she did a lot of Cloth Kits in the 70s and was intrigued to hear that they are still going strong.

Shame I'm not visiting the right capital city - Ben wants to take me to Ireland one day so I'll bear it in mind!

Kandi said...

I love it lots! I really must invest in some clothkits soon. The patchwork is stunning, that's also on my to do list.. I hope I live to be 100 as my list is getting ever longer.
Kandi x

Jo said...

What a gorgeous skirt, I really wish I could sew but alas, I'm useless. How lovely to have something creative to pick up in each room, sounds wonderful. Hope your son is on the mend, aren't they on half term holidays over there like they are here?

VintageVicki said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous and gorgeous :)

We were talking about Clothkits at S&B last night - nice to hear how good they are - I might be tempted to order something for myself later in the year :)

Pomona said...

You have been so busy - I really love the skirt!

Pomona x

Claire said...

Hey Ctherine, I've found my way to your blog through Jacqueline's blog Zippy Zippy.

I just love your new skirt, it looks fab. You certainly did a great job putting it together and conquered your fear of zips.....well done

Love the patch work blanket,nice to have a 'slow stitching' project I think...........

Have a great weekend,

Claire :}

Pom Pom said...

What a beautiful skirt! You made something wonderful. I like the bounce of your creativity.

magsmcc said...

Fabulous all!

flowers on my table said...

Catherine you are a very busy bee. I love the skirt, it's really cute. Your dishcloths are adorable, no wonder you don't want to use them! The patchwork is really pretty too, top marks for everything. Yes the weather is unbelievably good and I'm going to make the most of it. You will have to move your patchwork and crochet outside. Have a lovely weekend, love Linda x

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Wow so much stitchery and productivity! Your skirt is divine, lovely birdie and what a gorgeous colour.
Have a great weekend,

Sarah x

flowers on my table said...

Thanks for the visit Catherine, it's all thanks to you that I went on to Mary Poppins blog. I am gob-smacked! What a lovely end to my day! Enjoy your Sunday, love Linda x

gillyflower said...

My heavens girl, you've been incredibly productive!!!!
A project basket in every room - that sounds a lovely idea!
The skirt looks fantastic! Well Done you! I love the design and cut.
Made me chickle at the thought of the tin of circles being whipped out at every opportunity!
The patchwork is looking very pretty, lovely design.
Must have a go at some dishcloths one of these days, but i know like you I'd probably not want to use them - yours are very pretty.
We've got the miserable weather too - so have managed to catch up on some of my blogging at last!
Gill xx

Anonymous said...

LOVE your skirt. My mum used to buy clothkits decades ago and it so good to hear it is still popular. I keep reading articles here and there but having seen your skirt, I must get over to their site and get buying!! Thanks for the reminder!

love those cupcakes said...

Love that skirt! I have a Clothkits skirt which has been waiting to be sewn together for over 2 years.

Unknown said...

Clothkits have some beautiful makes don't they? I'm always tempted, but alas, my sewing skills leave a lot to be desired!
Your skirt is fabulous - very well done. I'm sure you'll wear it loads and loads.
The 'Patchwork Project' is looking great. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you've got lots of crafts on the go to keep you happy.