Saturday, 26 March 2011

A Sunny Day

ANOTHER gorgeous day! Can you believe the week we have had? Much of mine has been spent in the garden. I am by no means green fingered and most of our garden is just lawn, but we do have one flower bed which hubby created a while ago using old railway sleepers. The soil is TERRIBLE! Heavy, heavy clay! So I spent a lot of this week trying to create a slighty better environment for at least SOME plants to survive in!


The green that seems to flourish.....weeds!!


A bit better!

Although I am very definitely NOT a gardener I can see why people wax lyrical about it. The smell of the soil, the feel of the fresh air and oh the sounds....! I had been prepared to bring my radio outside with me but as I worked without it I listened to the sounds of trains and traffic in the far distance and the more insistent bird sounds close to me, and I felt totally at peace. I could have stayed in this little cocoon for ever!

Today after a little bulb planting with the kiddies I decided it was time to get out and about. The kids and I drove about 25 minutes from here and ended up in one of my favourite places....Brown's Bay (where Peter proposed to me many years ago! ♥). I love it here. On a clear day (today was misty over the Irish Sea) Scotland is so visible that cars can be seen glinting in the distance. We went for a walk around the headland and chatted and played. It was just lovely! Precious us time! No interruptions from the outside world! Bliss!







The ferry to Scotland....Oh to be on it!




The coconutty smell....BEAUTIFUL!



On the way home we stopped for ice-cream (them!) and coffee (me!) at a "famous" ice-cream shop..The Rinkha. Ohhhh! The temptation!!!

A perfect day! Now back to the real world....

4 comments:

sarah-jane down the lane said...

So glad you all had a lovely day. Thanks for visiting the Lane, so nice to meet new people,

Sarah x

magsmcc said...

The Rinkha- nearly went there with Mum and Dad last week, but only got as far as Take Thyme!

flowers on my table said...

Lovely photos Catherine. Thanks for your comments. If the weather is nice at Easter you won't want to be decorating! I quite like gardening, but don't actually enjoy the smell of the soil (makes me think of worms and graves yuk!) Have a lovely day, seems to be brightening up now, love Linda x.

gillyflower said...

What a lovely post!
I know all about heavy clay!!! Its boggy and underwater in winter and cracked bone dry in summer if left to its own devices! 12 years I gardened on clay!
What did do well though -Alchemilla Mollis (Ladys mantle ) is lovely and adored my garden, as did yellow loosestrife (tall yellow spires)but this becomes rampant so only use with caution in enclosed area!!
Yes being outside gardening is one of the most underrated pleasures.The smell and sounds, so peaceful - your worries disappear.
The bay looks marvellous - beautiful views - and gorse does smell of coconut!!Didnt notice that until I walked some of the south east coast path and walked through it high on the cliffs.
Glad you had a great day!