On friday afternoon I took the head staggers and decided that we needed a wee break away. Peter has been up to his eyes in work getting ready for the new university term. When he comes home he doesn't switch off, often sitting up to the early hours of the morning and then getting up before everyone else to do some more work! He rarely takes a break and I knew the only way for him to switch off was to take him away from his computer and limit the use of his iPhone!! A lot of hotels were obviously already booked for the weekend but I did find a room available for all four of us in the beautiful Bayview Hotel in Portballintrae on the North Antrim Coast (about an hour from here). The late booking also meant we got a really good rate which was a bonus!!
I collected Amy from school, packed our bags and collected Peter from work. He was very surprised, and I have to say, delighted, when I didn't turn on to the road for home but drove on. The hotel was beautiful. We had a room at the front overlooking the bay. The weather was so good at the weekend that the sunset on Friday night was magnificent! After a lovely meal (I tried Red Snapper...delicious!) we went down to the beach and watched the little boats going out to collect their nets.
Dunluce Castle is a few miles along the coast from Portballintrae. It has featured in many movies as the ruins are quite spectacular perched on the edge of the cliff (part of the kitchen fell into the sea on a stormy night during a party many years ago!!). When we got there we discovered it was European Heritage Day so admission was free! James, in particular, loved running around the ruins. I enjoyed the view..on a clear day you can see the Isle of Jura in the Scottish Hebrides.


Lunch was a simple picnic on the East Strand in Portrush. We enjoyed the weather we didn't have during the summer and time was spent building sand castles and rolling in the sand.
On the way home we stopped at the garden centre in Bushmills. It was a feast for the eyes! Cath Kidston bits and pieces were everywhere and little country bits and pieces. This table was so beautiful I had to take a photo...not great light so forgive me!
1 comment:
Looks beautiful - and I like your autumn door wreath:0)
Post a Comment