Saturday, 5 September 2009

How is it that during the day I could fill twenty blog posts with things that I am doing or thinking, but when it actually comes down to putting finger to keys I blank and don't know what to write? My mind swirls with beautiful images, with poetic words and expressive, descriptive phrases...now, all I can think to do is give you a rather flat description of my day....

We decided this morning to go to our local farmers' market - St George's market . On a Saturday morning there is live music and the combination of that with the buzz of the people there, makes for a really good atmosphere.

Peter and Amy decided to go for a walk into the city centre, so James and I bought some really scrummy crepes (Happy Birthday to the lovely French man who made them!!) and sat down in the centre of the market, ate the crepes, drank our coffee and smoothie (guess who had what?!! LOL!!) and soaked up the atmosphere.


Everywhere you look in the market your eyes and nose are assaulted by the beautiful looking and smelling food. There is fresh bread, cookies, cupcakes, meat, vegetables and the most amazing array of fish. I think from now on I will do some better menu planning and buy my food here. Although mainly organic it actually works out cheaper for the fresh food and it is reassuring to know it is seasonal and as fresh as it can be.


There are a few craft stalls there and every time I go I am tempted to hire a stall and bring all my stuff but I need to work up some more confidence (and stock !!) before I do this!

On the way home we picked up James' birthday present from his nanny and papa. A new bike! He was so excited as he had known nothing about it! Now we can start to think about removing stabilisers...


After lunch at Peter's mum and dad's we went to the local garden centre to buy some pretty Chrysanthemums. I got a lovely russetty coloured plant that I can set on the doorstep to start up my autumn decorations. I love to decorate my house for Autumn but find it difficult to get bits and pieces here...oh how I would love to attack the shops in the US! Here, all you can get are witchy, Halloweeny things which I really don't like. I really should get some things sewn and made.


When I got home I got my appley candles lit and the fire on to continue the autumnal feel and then.....put up the ironing board!!! What a come down!! I had an ironing pile to equal the Alps so it needed done. To alleviate the boredom I put on the film Amelie which my friend Mags let me borrow. A strange film but superb! I so enjoyed it and even conquered the Alps! Weirdly I found a lot in Amelie to identify with....

Once tea was over it was down to some relaxation in front of the fire with a glass of wine..and my computer (and the drone of a football match in the background!).

All in all, a very pleasant day!

4 comments:

Thedarkerside73 said...

Lovely looking market. And the food sounds really lovely. I love the sound of your afternoon at home. (minus the Alps!lol - I ignore mine hehe)

I know what you mean about having lots of post ideas etc. And then drawing a blank when you get to actually write them. Very annoying sometimes!

MBBx

magsmcc said...

Oh Catherine! I'll have a teacher's house with a white picket fence on Main Street, Small Town, USA and you can call for blueberry muffins and iced tea on your weekly run from Homestead Prairie! And in the Fall we'll have our golden chrysanths to sit by as we quilt below the falling leaves!

Anonymous said...

I love St. Georges' market! We were there a few weeks ago, but as I was looking for a birthday present for my mum, we didn't really spend time looking round properly. J and I are going to go back on our own sometime!

magsmcc said...

I see what you mean about autumnal- very impressive, Catherine! You are the queen of the backgrounds- what a class blog!