Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Baking and a Birthday


Can you believe I had never made a cake from scratch until now? No? Neither did my friends!! LOL! I have made them using packet mixes and I do make a torte from scratch, but I am more of a savoury cook than a sweet one!! However..last night I decided to take the bull by the horns and try to bake one all by myself!! Wasn't I the brave one?!!
My friend Mags gave me the recipe for a Buttermilk chocolate cake taken from Darina Allen's Forgotten Skills of Cooking. It was really simple and according to the bowl licking crew, very tasty!
The reason for this cooking frenzy? My friend Niqi's birthday. On Saturday, Amy, is hosting another tea party, this time for Niqi's birthday. Instead of buying a cake which is what I usually do I decided I would make one but I had to make a trial one first, hence, yesterday's activity.
Hopefully the second attempt, which will happen on Saturday morning, will be a success too!

Now, off to help with homework, make tea, get Amy sorted for Brownies and then start on Brenda's apron for the Great Apron Swap 2010!

8 comments:

Karen Roderick said...

That looks delish! Well done. I used to make cupcakes for my little boy when he was a bit younger and somehow I even managed to burn those! Your attempt looks fab, K x

Mise said...

Oh, industrious you! That's a first cake to be proud of.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh I like the sound of that last bit! Good girl!! I can't believe you've never made a cake either. It sure looks amazing. Big cakes really impress but I've never make a big cake before. What a lovely friend you are!

Katy Noelle said...

Do you need any help eating this one? Wow, it looks good. I'll be over in a jiffy!

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

your cake looks fab! well done :-)
thanks for your comment on my blog - im soooo not organised really im not! I would love to be a super organised mummy person though ;-)
Lesley x

magsmcc said...

Not only does this appear incongruously to be a very skinny woman holding a Bruce Bogtrotter cake; she even seems to be wearing a freshly ironed apron...

JuicyFig said...

It looks delicious!!! It is a pitty we don't have smell-a-blog!
The best thing about chocky cakes is if there are any mistakes, you can always cover them with more chocolate!

Kath
x

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

Hi catherine, thought i would stop by and see what you have been up to! Looks like a delicious cake - I have picked out some lovely fabric for your new apron, so next time you have a picture taken holding something freshly baked, you might be wearing your new apron from moi!

Happy baking and crafting
Brenda @ Mira Narnie