Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Summer Holidays ~ Part 1 ~ Wales

Our summer family adventure took us to a different part of the UK this year. I must say I was quite reluctant to miss out on my beloved Scotland ...but...I was quickly converted to our new destination...Wales. One of the things that persuaded us to try something new was the fact that any activity that the kids wanted to try when we stayed in Scotland involved a drive of at least half an hour to get to. I quite liked the isolation but I suppose for two kids and a hubby who likes everything to be convenient (city born and bred!!) it wasn't quite as idyllic. This year to try and combine everyone's needs we decided to try a Haven holiday. I was really quite surprised at just how ideal it was.

Porthmadog Harbour

Porthmadog Harbour

Porthmadog Harbour
The Haven site we chose was called Greenacres, situated in a little village called Morfa Bychan close to Porthmadog in Gwynedd, North Wales. It was handy to get to as it was only 50 minutes from the boat and it was set in the most stunning scenery. We had the amazing Black Rock Sands on one side of us and the mountains on the other. I did quite a lot of early morning running during the two weeks as the views across Tremadog Bay towards Criccieth on one side and Harlech on the other with the mountains of Snowdonia behind were spectacular. Many happy hours, some very hot and others not so hot, nor dry (!!) were spent on the beach, picnicing, reading, digging holes and building sandcastles. How could you not build a castle in a land of castles?! LOL!







The kids really enjoyed the activities that were on offer within Haven. They had almost unlimited use of the pool and we were delighted to see James' confidence grow in the water with him making great progress in learning some swimming strokes.

Having a go at fencing! I wanted to try too!!
                               
                                    Making mummy pedal...hard hard work!!





There was also lots of opportunities to sight see. We found pretty coves......
Villages to stop, look around and get refreshments in quaint tearooms...
Borth-y-Gest

Betws-y-Coed
Castles to explore...
Criccieth Castle


Dolwyddelan Castle

Caernarfon Castle

Woollen Mills to joyfully lead drag my children and husband around......

Brynkir Woollen Mill, Porthmadog (nothing bought!!)

and Trefriw Woollen Mills in the Conwy Valley. I was even allowed to visit here twice as I had found it difficult to get Welsh wool elsewhere ☺ A nice little stash was brought home!!


A visit to the National Slate Museum was followed by some tree climbing activity...by the kids!!




After all the activity I am glad to say there was also some down time to do just a little reading and a lot of knitting and crochet. I finished a scarf I had been working on and worked some more on Amy's blanket.


On the day of our return home we had quite a bit of time before we were due to get on the boat so we decided to explore a little of Anglesey. We were so impressed with this beautiful part of Wales that we would be keen to go back and visit it a little more.

 

All in all Wales turned out to be a fantastic holiday. We had such a lovely time that we are already planning a return trip!!

5 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I enjoyed your photographs very much! Your children are adorable and you are pretty!
It looks like the kids had a lot of fun!
Your blanket is looking gorgeous!

Coco Rose Diaries said...

It looks like you had a brilliant time in Wales. I'm always nervous about trying somewhere new, and it's always lovely when the experience is a great one! Happy planning for next year!!!!!! xxx

El Perro Blanco said...

Glad you had such a good time - the photos are great. Looking forward to seeing your Welsh wool stash.

Lynn said...

It looks lovely. I can remember some lovely Haven hols when my kids were young. Happy days :)
L.x.

Lorraine Ogilby said...

Hi Catherine - we visited very near there a few years with the boys and had a wonderful time. I really enjoyed it as well because it was "sharon Penman" country!!!!! looking forward to seeing you at leafing along xoxoxox