Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Edinburgh

A mainly pictorial account of my two wonderful days in Edinburgh.....

Day 1:

Arrived in Edinburgh at 9am. Left our bags at the hotel. Same place every year. We love it..so central....right in the middle of Princes Street beside Jenners..


Off to Hanover Street to try somewhere new for breakfast. Wow! Amazing! Almost decided to stay here all day and gradually work our way through the menu. It was fabulous! Check out Urban Angel...




French toast, bacon and maple syrup...yum!!

Outside our hotel the familiar Scottish bagpipes..

Some scenery....




Another piper...


Meet Adam the Braveheart. A really interesting character who is passionate about his history...


After a steep climb...could there have been many more steps?.......it was up to the castle for a little tour.....





And now on to one of the highlights of the whole trip for me. For the first time we visited the Grassmarket. A number of shops were browsed! In particular the Old bookshop. I loved it! Made a few purchases! But...by far the highlight....be still my beating heart...still palpitations...was K1 Yarns Knitting Boutique. It was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! I have a pattern for a Bon Bon Throw so picked up the wool for it here....

I cannot wait to get started!

This had worked up an appetite and a thirst so we stopped off at St.Giles Cafe Bar just off the Royal Mile. Yummy! A quiet evening was then spent at the hotel, resting tired feet!!

Day 2

Breakfast at the hotel then off to a Royal appointment....the Royal Yacht Brittania. We toured the yacht last year but we had heard there was a new tea room on board (is there a recurring theme here of food?!! LOL!). A quick walk through the yacht and then swiftly to the upper deck. It was beautiful!



My Sis-in-law making a difficult choice!

Decisions made!

A little entertainment by...Me!!!!!

A little more shopping followed (more wool from John Lewis!) and then more food, this time at the National Gallery in Princes Street.

accompanied by champagne!!!

A few views to leave you with from the restaurant....



I can't wait to next year!

P.S......thrift went out the window completely!! Oops!

7 comments:

PinkCat said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time and packed so much in.

We visited Britannia when we were in Edinburgh a few years back and loved it! x

Thedarkerside73 said...

looks like you had a wonderful time. It certainly looks like you enjoyed yourself at the piano!

Some lovely pictures thanks for sharing your break. Cant wait to see what you make with your wooly purchases.



MBBx

Alison said...

Well, you have whetted my apetite for Edinburgh (in many ways) there! Thanks for the great tour, and I'll be there in just over 24 hours!

KristenMakes said...

Catherine, Thanks for the lovely comment. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh! I just moved there myself with my husband about a month ago so I still feel like its a vacation. You have a wonderful blog, and I am so glad you enjoy knitting! Let me know if you ever come by the city again...

Julia said...

Oh well, thrift can wait for another day eh!! Looks as though you had a great time and look forward to seeing some knitting:0)

Wendy said...

I was really jealous of the wool shops! I've got two projects on the go now and can't wait to start a new one!

Looks like you had a lot of fun - and some relaxation...good for you.

magsmcc said...

Oh you so excite me about my trip to Glasgow next month! Check out www.angelsandviolets.co.uk on recommendation from Library colleague- look for the buttons in Decorations!