Saturday, 15 November 2008

Spiced Pear and Parsnip Soup



Serves 6-8


1kg parsnips, peeled and chunked

2-3 cardamom pods

short stick cinnamon

about 100ml dry white wine or cider

salt and freshly ground pepper

2-3 ripe pears, peeled and cored

large knob of butter

fresh grated nutmeg


Put the parsnips in a pan with the cardamom and cinnamon. Add the wine or cider and a litre of water. Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover loosely and cook gently until the parsnips are tender - allow 20-30 minutes. Add the pears and return the pan briefly to the boil, just long enough to soften the fruit.


Remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon. Process everything else in the liquidiser until smooth - if it's too thick dilute with some boiling water. Check the seasoning and reheat to just boiling. Stir in the butter, mixing until it melts. Finish each serving with a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm this recipe sounds absolutely gorgeous and I will have to try this for sure.

I have a recipe for Parsnip and apple soup - would you like this one? I also have a very very yummy chocolatey recipe for you which I will email and trust me you will all love it :)

Hope you have a blessed day - I am off to a friends house this morning and then working later on this afternoon.
Luv and hugs
Page x