This morning we decided to visit Carrickfergus Castle. It is a 10minute drive from here and every time we pass it James wants to go in. It's strange when things are on your doorstep, you take them for granted and rarely visit them. Well, today we put that to rights and went to have a look. James was so excited as he was the only one not to have been there.
Carrick Castle was built in 1177 by John de Courcy and is one of the best examples of a Norman Castle in the country. You can read more of its history here.The kids really enjoyed running around the battlements and standing with the statues of the soldiers although we did realise that James has watched 'Night at the Museum' a tad too often as he wondered when all the statues would come to life!!
Amy with the guard at the gates
The Murder Hole above the gate
The Chapel
The Constable of the castle




Amy under fire from the archer
Sir John de Courcy
Homesick!
The Dining hall...Head Table
Fireplace in Great hall
Playing Snakes and Dragons!
King John on the "throne"!!!!!!
Since we came home James has been dressed as a knight...he says he's my knight in shining armour! This damsel may just swoon!
2 comments:
Hi Catherine...I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with your blog (I'm Tanya's and Kristy's Mum, if you're wondering...). I LOVE this photo of you with Amy and James - it's beautiful! I love the castles photos - I can't imagine living 10 minutes from one!
I, too, struggle with my weight and was glad to see your honest prayer...that's been my daily prayer for years. Maybe we can hold each other accountable - it can be so easily simplified into a "diet" thing yet, to me, it is so intensely a spiritual battle.
Hugs,
Wendy
I'm really glad you called by! It would be great to be held accountable! My problem is snacking...I like to graze between meals! I think Peter needs to lock the fridge!
We can encourage one another. Please shout at me if you hear me creeping into the kitchen!! LOL!
Catherine
Post a Comment