Thursday, 15 March 2012

Looking forward....



...to the summer holidays! Unfortunately not in one of these! Instead it will be the usual, larger static variety, but, this year, shockingly (can I cope?!) .... NOT .... IN ..... SCOTLAND!!! I absolutely, totally, utterly and completely ♥LOVE♥ Scotland and would VERY happily go back this year again but the rest of the family wanted a change. Guess where was chosen? Somewhere warmer? Balmier? Drier? More exotic and far flung? Well, if I tell you that the place we are going to also has a lot of mountains and is close to the sea and is very, very green (think Tom Jones "green"), can you guess where it is?........Yes, obviously this year we are breaking out, becoming wild and adventurous, breaking out from the normal routine and we...are....going...to...Wales!


Actually, to be fair, I am really looking forward to it! We are trying a Haven holiday this time. I was brought to Butlins as child and loved it, as did my parents. When thinking about what we need from a holiday with our kids at the stage they are at, we came to the conclusion we simply need a good base to stay at that has facilities such as a pool and a park close to hand. Much of the time we will be out and about but it's great to have things for the kids to do on wetter days that we don't need to spend a fortune on or travel any great distance to.

The site we are staying is near Porthmadog which is a fantastic base from which to tour North Wales. I visited here when I was eleven or twelve and loved it. There are a few places I would like to bring the kids that have stuck in my memory from then and that I think they would enjoy too. I have also sussed out already (before I booked!!!) where there could be good wool/craft shops and pottery shops (we will only be a few miles from Portmeirion)! Priorities?!!! LOL!


I know it is still months away but I enjoy this dreaming and planning stage. If anyone knows the area maybe you could send some suggestions my way and I can add them to my ever growing list!

7 comments:

June said...

I may be able to give you a few good places to visit as I was brought up in North Wales! I would visit Criccieth Castle - a very small castle, a ruin on top of a small mound but the views to the sea are spectacular! You could then enjoy the local speciality ice-cream Cadwaladers! Better than any Cornish ice-cream! The town of Criccieth is also very pretty. Portmeirion would of course be a must! Maybe a train ride up Snowdonia too and in the Summer they sometimes do jousting at Beaumaris Castle on Anglesey - hope I've whetted your apetite! Plenty of lovely local beaches to choose from as well! Happy holidays!
June

Nicky said...

I have never been so no suggestions other than have a WONDERFUL time!! xx

VintageVicki said...

You are more organised than us - we've not booked anything. I think this year it will be a last minute trip up the coast to Norfolk if there are some quiet days and good weather.

Betty said...

No advice on Wales I am afraid, having a long and excessive relationship with Northumberland and Majorca pretty much to the exclusion of everywhere else on the planet. What I can tell you is that I am already looking forward to the long summer holiday. My mother has always been a "don't wish your life away" person, none the less, come about September 6th when they go back to school for winter term, I start thinking about the next summer! I like the sound of the wool and craft shops too! Not that long now, we're nearly at Easter after all. Easter is a favourite holiday of mine as it marks the start of better weather and the start of Bank Holiday season!

gz said...

Enjoy! I used to live in Garn Dolbenmaen, not far from there.
Have a good day in Portmeirion- I ran the bookshop there for two years. A marvellous place to explore. You'll find my pots with other peoples' work in Crochendy Twrog further up the valley at Maentwrog. Turn south at Maentwrog and visit Harlech- a choice of things to do and see, from the beach and golf course to the town (is the theatre still there?) and up the mountains

Katy Noelle said...

Oh, what happy fun! I would LOVE to go to Wales! Actually, I would love to visit your turf, the whole of the UK and France and Denmark, too, while I'm at it. The funny thing is, now, I live in a place that I used to vacation. So much to do, right at home! =]

Have fun with your dreaming!

Katy Noelle xxo

Anonymous said...

We did a Haven holiday last year in Devon. The kids loved it, the pool was great and it was a really nice area. Hope you have a lovely time.