Sunday, 2 September 2012

September ~ My Favourite Month

I love Autumn and for me it starts on the first of September. School is back on, new uniforms, new pens, pencils, files, schoolbags (buying them excites me more than the kids!!), the days are getting shorter, the mornings cooler and there is an excuse to hunker down with fires lit, candles burning and a book or knitting/crochet in hand. Bliss!

 
"The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.
"
-   John Updike, September

6 comments:

Angela said...

What a great poem - I have not read this before. So evocative of September days! thanks xx

Pom Pom said...

Hi Catherine! Oh, that's a lovely poem. I know just what you mean. I love candles lit and hot tea at the ready.
I like big fat pencils and smelly erasers!
September is a glorious month.

VintageVicki said...

So true - this morning its misty here and later we have to start packing bags for school. One returns on Wednesday and the other next Monday.

Wendy said...

I'm trying to get my head around Autumn and trying to embrace it but failing miserably. I want Summer back!

kristieinbc said...

I agree! Fall is the best season, and September is its crowning glory! I really like that poem. :-)

Unknown said...

Autumn is such a lovely season.
Hope your daughter is settling into her new school.
Jill x