Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Elizabeth Zimmerman

"Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence.
 Of course superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage."
 --Elizabeth Zimmerman, Knitting Without Tears

As I said in my last post, I bought the book Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmerman when I was in Dublin. I couldn't wait to get started. I really, really, really want to be able some day to attempt Fairisle knitting and this book is my first tentative step towards that goal. I found some "Aran" wool in the house (I didn't want to use my "nice" wool just yet!!) and set to it. EZ's instructions are very clear and within a couple of days my first stranded hat was complete. When you look closely at it it is not quite perfect (I am not doing my M1 correctly) but I am very, very pleased with my first attempt. Here's how it looks....







 

Now on to the next one!

3 comments:

Nicky said...

Fabulous!! Soon you will be whipping up one of those gorgeous fairisle jumper patterns on Rav. xx

Angela said...

Oh that is GOOD. And the odd M1 error isn't too bad! If the rain in NI is like it is here right now, then that hat will be treasured greatly!!

Pom Pom said...

Bravo! I ordered the DVD and listening to her natter away, giving all kinds of amazing "unventions" and holding her needles and yarn so elegantly . . . I love it.