Thursday, 25 August 2011

Summer Crafting 2011

Although it has been a busy summer it has also been a productive summer creatively. Before it began I had begun to knit a vest top for myself. Knitting is NOT my craft but as the daughter of a consummate knitter I was determined that at some time in my life I would be able to knit. By the start of my holiday in Scotland I had the back finished and was almost finished the front...but...I had a problem...I did not know how to do the edging of the neck and the arms. What was I do? My plan was to wait for a few weeks until I saw my mum. However, I found my solution a few miles from our site......Cafe Craft in Garelochhead, Argyll and Bute.

In a way we found it by chance. There has been a coffee shop here since we began to visit this area but when I first visited it a number of years ago it didn't really appeal to me. We dropped in this year only to see if they sold any paintings of the area as I thought I had seen some on display as we drove past. Imagine my pure, absolute delight when I discovered it was not only under new management but it was also a form of craft heaven where GORGEOUS, DELICIOUS yarns were for sale, fabrics could be bought and copious amounts of other delights could be found! I spent a long time browsing, my husband had to eat lots of cake, the children were mollified with sugar and I SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY on more supplies!!
Oh how I wish I lived closer to Garelochhead and didn't have to put up with an annual visit. The classes that are being held sound sooooooo tempting.

Anyway, back to the vest! I got talking to Trisha, the owner, about the vest and the problem I was having. She told me to come back in a few days and to bring the vest with me, which I did. With a few cups of coffee in hand and Trisha's patient tutoring, I learnt how to knit the edging. Once I was confidently working on the neck I was able to head home and finish up my vest...

By the way, the vest isn't wet!! I couldn't get a photo without shadow!! LOL!

I finished it up with a little brooch that I bought from Cafe Craft as I feel the vest is part of there!!

Project no.2 was a life long ambition and is also a result of my trip to Cafe Craft. I have ALWAYS wanted to knit socks and have tried in the past but soon gave up. One of my purchases was the sock wool and the needles. Before I got to my mum's in August I had the leg knit and when I was visiting her she showed me how to turn the heel and graft the toe. I was so excited when I finished the first sock! When I got home I knit the second one (with a few calls to my mum when I reached the heel again! LOL!)


The third project is a Ballet Style cardigan. I began it on holiday when I finished the vest and am about two thirds finished. It is knitting up really nicely and I can't wait to get it finished.


A crochet project was also started but not much progress has been made yet and I have no photos!!

I was not the only one though to start knitting this summer. Amy had started to knit a scarf (taught by granny) a while ago but didn't get very far. In July she started again and did BRILLIANTLY! Her first scarf is complete and she is sooooo proud of herself! She has started a second project...a baby jacket (for her teddy!!!!!!!).
So all in all a busy busy summer BUT a fantastic one. If you can get to Garelochhead, Cafe Craft is definitely a fantastic stopping point. Who could ask for more when you get coffee and craft combined?! My idea of bliss!

9 comments:

Angela said...

love the knitting. Can I call you for help when I get to doing the edging on the cardi I am knitting at the minute, please?

Wendy said...

That's fantastic! I am not a knitter - I've done a few small projects (like knitting a rabbit etc) and that's the sum of my knitting experience - and it was enough. My hands get crampy and sore so I gave up. Give me a sewing machine and I'm in heaven - but oh dear my jug full of knitting needles is now purely decorative. :)

Your vest is cracking. And the socks! Brilliant - love the colours.

busybusybeejay said...

Be careful.Sock knitting is addictive!Is it regia sock yarn.I love the colours.

sara said...

Lovely knitting projects, you have certainly caught the knitting bug, lovely blog,

lily

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Golly Catherine I really love your tank top. My Mum was the queen of making us tank tops when we were little, i lived in them. Yours is such a nice colour and the broach looks perfect. As for knitting socks - that really is beyond my comprehension! Hats Off!

Sarah x

love those cupcakes said...

Would love to be able to knit socks (yours are fab) but think it's probably a step too far for me.

Jo said...

Your vest top is gorgeous, and the little brooch just finishes it off, such a nice touch seeing as it came from cafe craft. I'm sure you'll be addicted to knitting socks now you've done your first pair, socks are my favourite thing to knit, and there's some gorgeous sock yarn out there. I love the colour of your new cardigan. Amy has done brilliantly with her scarf, well done.

sarahp said...

wow! what a summer! My mum is a demon knitter and I have never followed in her steps but you might have inspired me to get some needles out! The tank top looked fab!

magsmcc said...

Don't know how I missed this post, but oh wow!