Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Normal Service...

has resumed! I'm back in the land of the living! Last week was a funny old week...nothing wrong that I could pinpoint....just out of sorts! Back to "normal" (my normal!!) now in full Autumnal mode!

Most days were spent just tootling around home. I didn't have an actual duvet day much as it would have been VERY nice, but instead, I blocked out Wednesday morning for a "me" morning. Peter took the kids to school so that I could have a leisurely breakfast. Then I just did what the mood dictated! I cross stitched for a while (I haven't done this for a very long time), I read for a while and I started to make some family Christmas Cards.

The Cross stitch is for a little Christmas present. I have resolved this year to make more presents with the hope that they will be well received....fingers crossed! Like many, the old purse strings are having to be pulled in a little, make that a lot, this year, but it is making me think creatively and I am hoping that the thought will definitely count for something!!

A friend had spotted my crochet dishcloths when she came to visit and she has put in a request for some of those, so that is another one sorted!

An exciting event which happened last week (there was ONE!) was my meeting, for the first time, a blog and Ravelry friend, Nicky. We had discovered that we only live a few miles apart and our children have mutual friends. We met at the local coffee shop and spent a great morning chatting and knitting. I sat in AWE! I aspire to someday knit even half as well as she can!!

I was quite nervous when we were meeting up as you never really know if you'll get on as well in reality as in cyberspace but I needn't have worried. The hours whizzed by and I feel as though I have known her forever. We had another knit and natter this morning with a few other friends. It was lovely and relaxing. She also brought me a few knitting and crochet books to have a wee look through. Lovely!!

Mum and dad came to visit for a few days which I enjoyed. Mum and I pottered around a few shops, tested lots of coffee (!) and generally enjoyed catching up. Dad enjoyed the relaxation and just pottered around the house. I "delivered" them to my brother and his family on Saturday and they spent another few days there before going home yesterday.

Yesterday was a domesticated sort of day. Washing and cleaning...not so nice...and baking....very nice. "Wee buns" were made for the kids and my big kid...

and I began the preparations for my mum's Christmas cake. She herself bakes 8 or 9 Christmas cakes every year and gives them as presents, so I like to make hers. No one in this house likes Christmas cake so I don't make one for here, but I love the process of making it and I LOVE the smell of it cooking, so making one for mum gives me the best of both worlds!

This year I am using Mary Berry's Victorian Christmas cake recipe which I found in the recent issue of the BBC Good Food Magazine. The fruit is now soaking and I am so enjoying the Christmassey smell which wafts out of the bowl when it gets its daily stir!!

There are lots of other tempting recipes which I might just have to try soon. I particularly liked the section on foody Christmas presents. I had been considering making chutney for a few people and the magazine has given me a little encouragement to give it a go. It is many years since I last made it so at least there are many more exciting recipes to consider. Do you have interesting, but simple, ideas? I'd love to know!

Anyhows, that's me pretty well caught up! School runs and "mum's taxi service" are beginning to call. Have a lovely week, whatever you are doing!

15 comments:

Nicky said...

Oohh I feel like a celebrity being mentioned on your blog :) Thanks for this morning it was lovely and your friends are lovely too. Your Christmas cake photos make me homesick because they remind me of my mom in law who also makes cakes for all and sundry and I love Christmas cake but never attempted to bake one. Enjoy the books - you might even find your next pair of socks to knit!!

Thedarkerside73 said...

Sounds like a lovely few days. In amongst the Meh feelings.

Love that stitchery you are doing, it looks beautiful.

Ah a bit of baking is always a happy relaxing thing.


MBB x

josiekitten said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm most impressed that you have started your Christmas cake! Did you watch the Great British Bake Off? I was addicted to it! We shall be making our Christmas pudding in a few Sundays time. I must check to see when Stir-up Sunday is! You blog looks like fun too! I shall be calling back!

Angela said...

Love the cross-stitch.
Christmas Cake should be under way next week [our half term]
sounds like you have been having alovely time with friends and family!
blessings x

Unknown said...

I wasn't going to do any homemade Christmas presents, just because I haven't got my head round Christmas yet, buy you've got me thinking...that cross stitch picture is gorgeous!

flowers on my table said...

Hi Catherine, looks like you are having a lovely time (apart from the housework bit). I can almost smell your Christmas cake. I love it, but could eat the whole cake myself! Your cross stitch picture is really lovely, I am sure your friend will be absolutely delighted with it. You are making me want to do some!

How lovely that you met a kindred spirit in blogland and you can knit together in reality...it's great!
Thanks for your comments on wreaths, I am very happy to think you have one on the go at all times! Have a great weekend, love Linda x

Annie said...

Crumbs, Christmas cake ... I know I posted a little while ago that it was only 100 days to Christmas ... but I hadn't given cake a thought! I can almost smell that bowl of fruity goodness!
And loving the cross stitch ... it's a very long time since I did any too but recently, when I was poorly, it was just the thing ... I'll have to show you what I was stitching!

Pom Pom said...

Interesting! I like the look of that traditional fruit cake (that's what we call it!)
Well, cross stitching was a perfect thing to do when you were given a bit of solitude. I love it!

gillyflower said...

How lovely to meet up with another like minded blogger!
Good for you having some well deserved tiome for your self - love the cross stitch.
And you are so organised thinking about C cakes and C pressies already!
Gill xx

Mum said...

I think they ought to bottle the aroma of Christmas cake in the making, don't you?
Love from Mum
xx
PS Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog. I hope you enjoy your visits.
xx

LaaLaa said...

Hi. I've just come across your blog. I'm loving it. That cross stitch is great. Where is that from? X

Helen Philipps said...

Sounds like some lovely things have been happening there! Your stitching is beautifully neat. Lovely to see the Christmas cake pictures too. Have a happy week. Helen x

Unknown said...

Ahh, the smell of a Christmas Cake baking is such a heavenly thing, I going to put the fruit to soak this evening. Wow to you Mum - so many cakes!

Wendy said...

Good for you for starting the Christmas baking... I am still in the "do I have to?" mode - pretty sad, eh? I love Christmas fruit cake but, like you, no one in my house likes it. I still crave just one little piece every year but other recipes just aren't the same as mine...

Reginas Cottage said...

hello
it sounds that you have had a lovely time.i like your blog.
have a wonderful time,
regina
reginassimplelife.blogspot.com