This year was a little different from before because instead of using our friends’ van, they came as well and we hired a van for the two and a half weeks. I was apprehensive about going away with friends as I have heard so many horror stories of friendships being strained as a result of few weeks close proximity but from the get go this holiday was relaxed and full of fun and laughter.
The morning we sailed was beautiful...thankfully....and after a very smooth journey and pleasant drive we arrived at the caravan park. Now I’m not sure what I was expecting from a hire van but it certainly wasn’t what we got?!!! The van had a large living area, an amply equipped, modern kitchen, a good sized bathroom and three bedrooms, the master having its own ensuite and walk-in wardrobe area! The view of the loch and mountains, although not as good as that from Wilson and Jenny’s van, was spectacular!
Over the next two and a half weeks we had a great time touring about and shopping (the craft shops and pottery shops got well and truly hammered!!!). Amongst the places we visited were Oban, the Seal Sanctuary, Inverary (we stopped there for a picnic), the Hill House (Charles Rennie Macintosh’s house in Helensburgh) and Glasgow (good shopping!! LOL!!).
The monumental event of the holiday was Amy and I learning to ski at Xscape in Glasgow. It has only one of three indoor real snow ski slopes in the UK. Needless to say I was TERRIFIED!! For the first ten minutes I cried, wondering what I was letting myself in for!! My shins were sore and when I tried to move I seemed to make no progress. Although I enjoyed it more at the end of the hour I still wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it again, but after seeing the video that Peter took of it I decided to try again. Amy and I took our second lessons together (she was really good!) and by the end we had almost finished our Level 2! I LOVED it and can’t wait to go back!
Amy’s birthday also took place while we were there. The banner I made for her was put up and after receiving her presents we spent the day swimming, shopping, bowling and finally having tea in Tony Roma’s. It was a great day and she really enjoyed it.
Most evenings I spent crafting. The crochet is coming along nicely. I started a jumper for myself but I’m not sure when it will be finished?! LOL! I also did some knitting and although I bought sewing supplies I didn’t do any when I was away! Unusual for me!!
We came home on the 25th (a little depressed!) and quite surprisingly Peter said we could go back so the sailing is booked for next Sunday!!! We are going back for 8 days and staying in Wilson and Jenny’s van as they will be home again!! Roll on the 9th....back to my spiritual homeland!!!!!! Hopefully I'll get more photos or at least those Peter took moved to my computer!!
9 comments:
Wow what a view from the caravan you stayed in! no wonder you want to go back.
Looks like you all had so much fun.And well done on learning to ski, I have never tried it myself and does look a little scary.
Hope you have just as great a time in a few weeks as you did this time.
MBBx
Welcome home! Spiritual homes are all very well, but the real knitting together is right here!
Welcome home! I'm glad you had a great time.
Wow! Looks like a wonderful holiday! We had a great one in Surrey two weeks ago! I'm so glad you get to go back, that's amazing!
It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful holiday, the views look lovely :O)
Lucky you, what a beautiful place! And what a brave lady – don’t think you’d get me skiing!! I’d much rather dive into that yummy strawberry tart!!!
Love Julia :0)
hello x
glad you love our part of the world - try going further North for the most amazing beaches and glorious views - i feel incredibly lucky to live here and would never move back to England, but Ireland has always had a pull and i hope to one day visit!
thanks for visiting my blog - lovely to meet you :)
t x
Looks like you had a wonderful holiday, lovely view from the caravan, I love Scotland for it's beautiful scenery!
Rachel x
How wonderful! I went to Scotland decades ago as a teenager with a girlfriend and it was truly love at first sight! We travelled from castle ruins to ruins and spent a few days in Oban - it was my personal favorite. I wonder if I'll ever get back there....
Sorry I haven't been on your blog for awhile - where did the summer go?
Post a Comment