Work has been really busy. I have now Friday morning added to my rota. I don’t really mind although I had set aside my Friday for things around the house! My new pupil is a lovely little boy. He is showing strong signs of autism and that brings differing difficulties for him. I spent yesterday testing him to work out his areas of weakness in terms of his literacy skills and find a base line to work from. I wrote up his report today. His IQ is quite high unlike the other kids I work with but his basic literacy skills are poor. I am looking forward to working with him in the New Year.
Last week I attended a course through work. It was on the Ruth Miskin approach to teaching phonics. It was brilliant! I could see how it could be so successful with the pupils I teach. The only problem now is the usual one…getting funding from the Education Board for resources!! They are loathe to give the money needed. At least three of the pupils I have could use the scheme for the older children. It would also be useful for Amy so I am getting the resources myself to use with her and then I can use them with the pupils in school. Maybe the Board will fund the resources for the younger kids?!
James is back at Nursery following his operation. He is doing so well. His eye is so straight now. I saw a photo the other day that my friend had taken of him a few months ago. His right eye was so turned in that you could not see the white of his eye next to his nose. Now it is sitting perfectly straight! I am really delighted! He had an appointment with his consultant on Wednesday and she was also pleased. The prescription he had for glasses has been reduced by 50% with the hope that in a few years he will not be wearing glasses at all…something I was not expecting!
Amy has been busy with school. She is busy getting ready for their Carol Service on Tuesday night as she is part of the choir.
Preparations for Christmas are continuing. All the decorations are up, presents have been wrapped, cards made, written and posted. It’s hard to believe that it will all take place in less than two weeks! The kids are getting very excited about the imminent arrival of Santa! My house will become Ben 10 territory very soon (moreso than it already is!! LOL!) and another Build-a-Bear will be taking up residence!
This morning Amy and I visited St George’s Market ( the farmers’ market). We had a lovely time. The atmosphere there is great. It is always really busy and there is live music each week.. We started by getting our crepes, a coffee for me and hot chocolate for Amy. Then as we happily munched on these we sat people watching which is always interesting. You see so many different varities of life!! LOL!!
I didn’t do as much shopping there as usual. One thing I did get though was homemade, organic ginger wine (non-alcoholic). I got to sample it and it was really scrummy. My dad used to make it when I was a little girl and it tasted just like his! I bought a bottle for him and one for myself!
Tonight I am planning to relax! I am off now to soak in the bath and have a good read, and then I will cosy up by the fire and do some cross stitch…I might finally finish my picture!


3 comments:
The last two paragraphs made me long for my home...as I'm working right now! My Dad used to always buy Ginger Wine at Christmas time - your comments brought back lots of fond memories... I wonder if I can even buy it over here.
I'm so happy that James' operation was a success - praise the Lord! We'll continue to pray...
Have a blessed, peaceful Christmas if we don't talk before then...
Good to hear your latest news! Glad your job's going well and thrilled to hear how well James is doing! Well done on getting things done in advance. Hope you had a lovely evening with the crossstich & book! :)
Glad to hear that work is still going well. I've got a good website for you that has free resources:
http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/index.html Hope you find something useful here. xx
Post a Comment